8 July 2015

An Unexpected Trauma 

 

It was 30th January 2015, Friday evening, I and my hubby had gone to attend my son's annual function at his school. He had taken part in drama. We both were very excited to see our beloved son's performance.

The function started on time, at 6.30 p.m, and all the parents were enjoying. His drama got over at 8 p.m. As the function was in open ground; all the lights were off except the stage light. So basically it was pitch dark and there was a band performance going on, which was really loud.

IT HAPPENED when they announced A BREAK for 15 minutes. I wanted to meet my son, only to tell him how wonderful his act was....So I went on backstage, appreciated him. I wanted him to join us for the rest of the program but he told me that he will take time to wind up everything and join us.

WHILE RETURNING TO MY SEAT , I was walking normally , I really don't understand how I stumbled across an uneven area of ground , my left ankle got twisted as it did not make a sure connection with that uneven patch ( it was too late to realize it). Everything happened in a fraction of second. I LOST MY BALANCE as my left foot bent sideways at the ankle and my full body weight slammed onto it.

AS I WAS FALLING DOWN, I COULD HEAR A CRACK, (YES IT WAS AUDIBLE.) and I was on the ground with terrible, excruciating pain. I was stunned for a while........waiting for my pain to decrease ...so that I can get up. But how I was going to get up????? I was too sure as I heard a crack from my left leg. I told myself, “ Oh! no.... Dimple, It 's a FRACTURE ."

My husband was far from me. He had no idea what was happening to me. The pain started giving me giddiness. Suddenly I became very thirsty. I knew it was a pain reflex. I was in shock and was praying to God continuously to keep me conscious and alert. I did not want to pass out as I was the only person to help myself (being a doctor, I was aware of what next step has to be taken , one by one).

For a moment I felt it was a nightmare, not a reality. In those 10 mins lots of negative thoughts ran across my mind. But I did not allow any bad thoughts to win over me. I gathered myself; I had faith in God that he will look after me.

I wanted to call my hubby first.

4-5 parents came immediately to help me. The school ground is very huge. The function was going on at its pace with Loud music and Colorful lights. One lady gave me water, God bless her. She told me it might be just a sprain, try to get up, apply ice immediately, you will be fine. But I told her I am not able to get up on my own. I feel the injury is much more than we think.......

They lifted me and made me sit on the chair. But while getting up, I could not put any weight on my left foot without tremendous pain. I CRIED OUT LOUDLY.......

I sat on a chair, the pain was intolerable, I was holding my left leg, and made it rest on my right knee. Then I called up my husband, but.....He didn't hear the ring because of music. I had to take a help of a lady and showed her where he was sitting. These people were not known to me. Again I tried to call him, but it was in vain. Now I was restless, the pain was getting more intense, my ankle had swollen. It was bad, very bad. Again I called up for the 3rd time, thank god, this time he picked up. I told him to get the car. I wanted my son to be with me. Tried to call him, but he was not reachable. With the support of my husband and my son's friend, I hopped on my right leg all the way to the car. Each hop was giving immense pain to my injured leg.........

The PAIN took away my tears. I can't describe the level of pain. It was unimaginative; I have never ever experienced such type of pain before. Right now while writing, I am feeling that trauma again...IT HURTS.........

OK... let’s go further,

I did not panic. My brain was working fast, even in that terrifying pain. I knew few 
orthopedic surgeons in my area. So went to the closest orthopedic doctor, he took my history, examined me and carried out ankle joint x-rays.

I could not believe that I had not only fractured my leg at 3 places but also it had got dislocated. I fractured my tibia, fibula and talus. Doctor told me my talus had separated out and I might have damaged my ligaments and tissue also. (Diagnosis done by doctor - Circular fracture)

My lower jaw dropped.

HERE IS MY X-RAY





Dr. told me my pain is more because of dislocation and so without wasting much time, he located it. Before doing so, he warned me that it will pain me more. I was like, still more pain??Asked God," IS THIS NOT ENOUGH??? ' I had hold my hubby tightly , a loud animal noise came out from my mouth , THAT HORRIBLE PAIN STILL HAUNTS ME , THAT FLASHBACK MAKES ME CRY.(I wish if I had known it will pain so much then I would have requested Dr. to give me some kind of nerve block, sedation or anesthesia. But I am grateful to him for treating me rightly on time. Things could have been a lot worse)

I will never ever forget these TWO moments, when I fell down with that audible awful snap and the moment Dr. located my bone. It was very sad and frightening too. I mean, I feel, I have experienced the height of pain, and pray to God that no one, NO ONE should undergo such type of painful situation.

I was relaxed when my bone got relocated. Half of my pain disappeared. Now I was able to communicate with my husband and my doctor. He suggested me to undergo surgery as soon as possible. (I wanted the other surgeon). He put a splint to my left foot and advised analgesics and sent me home. He also suggested MRI to find out injuries to soft tissues.

Here is the x-ray after reduction (locating the bone into its place)


I thanked him for everything he did for me and went home.

I unfortunately had to wait for 2 days to get  my damage repaired as my orthopedic surgeon was unavailable. But I talked to him on the phone and I was  updating my status in those 2 days. I had sent my x-ray pics and he assured me everything will be fine although I had DIFFICULT fracture. After seeing x-ray, he told me that MRI is not needed. He planned my surgery on 2nd February, 2015. 

I was glad I waited for him. He is an amazing Doc. I was very lucky to receive the right treatment at right time from right doctors.

With medication I was better, pain was tolerable. But in those 2 days, (Saturday and Sunday) I understood how badly it had impacted my day to day life. Normally I am very active and independent lady. I felt like my whole life had been turned upside down. I had to depend on my family to do every small thing for me. Negative thoughts as what if I will not be able to walk again?? This damage will be permanent?? Will I ever be normal again??? .....(These types of thoughts are bound to come, let them pass, one should fight the situation and try to overcome it)

Underwent ORIF (outward rotation internal fixation) surgery on Monday under epidural anesthesia. Doctor told me that when he removed my splint, there was a huge hematoma as a result of internal bleeding. So he had to put a drainage tube for 2 days (Thank god it was not an open fracture, the complications would have been more serious). As my fracture was unstable one, he had to put one long metal plate and 9 screws to hold the broken bones together so that it can heal naturally and quickly. It was 2 hours surgery.

 POST SURGICAL X-RAY


Surgeon's job was done. Now it was a physical as well as mental challenge for me to overcome this situation.

Being a homeopath I was aware of the very important homeopathy medicines which can help me to get over with the post surgical pain and to heal the fracture fast. I discussed with my friend and started with the following homeopathy medicines the very next day of my fall along with other medications.

- Arnica mother tincture and Symphytum mother tincture 15 drops each mix with half cup of water (normal temperature ) at every 6hrs


And


- Calcarea phos 6x at every 6hrs


Above 3 medicines have really helped me a lot for my speedy recovery. I did continue till I started to walk on my own without any support at 8 weeks.  Hope these medicines help you also, to heal your fracture fast without much complication.(At present I am only on calcium tablets , nothing else.)

If u are active , you can break your bones, can hurt yourself in a lot many unexpected ways. It is okay, don't feel bad and don't get depressed. There is light at the end of the dark Tunnel. Get up, get going. Get back to normal using the right methods. Change your doctor if you have to. You will heal perfectly in your own time at your own pace in response to your body and injury. Do not get upset, impatient, frustrated, do not lose hope, be positive, soon it will be a bad memory (get that).

Although I am not 100% after 20 weeks, but I am much much better. There is occasional pain and mild swelling in injured ankle when I stand too long plus muscle stiffness not much and some partial numbness as a result of nerve damage, that’s all. I do not limp at all. These entire things are not affecting my normal active life.


JUST HANG ON. Do not give up. My next post will be about highlights of my recovery along with useful tips. Thanks for reading my blog. See you soon; wish you a safe and speedy recovery. Hope this helps you................

                                                                    your friend & well wisher - Dimple
          
P.S: If you are sailing in the same boat, share your stories, it may help someone. I will be more happy if some of the things I have shared here is useful for your ongoing recovery. I am here for you not only as a doctor but also as a friend. I will do my best to respond you all. Thanks again for taking out your precious time.

No comments:

Post a Comment